Posted on July 2nd, 2009 in clean government, Colorado Politics, General, Labor, liberty, National Politics, PPC | Written by Ben | 3 Comments »
The chronic inability of Colorado’s appointed U.S. Senator Michael Bennet to take a position on the union card check bill (also known as EFCA) has moved deep into the realm of bizarre self-parody. It’s a political joke that has lasted so long that the label of “Both Ways Bennet” has been branded permanently on his (hopefully brief) career.
A member of the Denver Post editorial board, Chuck Plunkett observes that the long-awaited seating of Al Franken as Minnesota’s U.S. Senator has once again ratcheted up the pressure that EFCA could come to a vote and force Michael Bennet into the uncomfortable position of, well, having to take one:
Iâ€™ve asked Bennetâ€™s office whether he wants to come on with his position on card check. (We oppose it.)
As observers are aware, heâ€™s been more than coy on the question, and our board is among those whoâ€™d love to know where Bennet, who faces re-election in 2010, stands on this important question.
Update: Bennetâ€™s office says the senator isnâ€™t prepared to comment at this time. So weâ€™ll keep waiting.
Then again, Michael Bennet still isn’t quite ready. It’s been nearly six months we’ve waited thus far. What’s a few weeks more at this point? In honor of the never-ending saga, here’s a quick trip down memory lane 2009 for Mount Virtus readers:
- (January 13) Less than Independent Michael Bennet Invites Fresh, Articulate GOP Opponent
- (February 5)Is This How John Sweeney Will Convince Michael Bennet to Kill the Secret Ballot?
- (February 10) Growing Labor Clout Puts Michael Bennet in Bind Over Card-Check Bill
- (March 3) Will Colorado Democrats Really Line Up and Bow to Big Labor on Card-Check?
- (March 5) Study: Union Card-Check Could Cost Thousands of American Jobs
- (March 24) Card Check Bill’s Fading Prospects a Relief for Colorado’s Michael Bennet
- (April 16) Months Later, Michael Bennet Still Vacillating Over Union Card-Check Bill
- (April 22) Democrat Numbers Show Door Wide Open for Challenge to Michael Bennet
- (April 28) Which Nickname Should Honor Michael Bennet’s Ongoing Indecision?
- (May 5) Colorado Union Goon to Republican Operative: “You Gotta Delete That”
- (May 8 ) Is George McGovern Michael Bennet’s Way Out of Card-Check Indecision?
- (May 11) The Evidence Mounts Against EFCA, and Michael Bennet Still Can’t Decide
- (May 22) Big Labor Ramps Up Pro-EFCA Efforts with Biased Report, Religious Lobbyists
- (June 10) Harmful Card Check Bill Union Cash Cow, Michael Bennet Still Undecided
The beat goes on.
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.